• Reflecting on India’s future energy mix and how it might evolve over the next 10 years • What impact will renewables have on the Indian thermal power market? • Addressing the environmental damage that coal has and the impact of continued burning of fossil fuels • Using coal to support variable energy – can a green future include coal? • What changes must be made to allow coal fired power plants to be fast ramping? • With such large coal reserves, is it realistic that India will turn its back on coal? • What impact would rejecting coal have on the growth of the Indian economy? • What are the hidden negative environmental impacts of alternative energies? • Is there an argument that India’s local coal has a comparable environmental impact to some alternative energies? • Are carbon capture and other emerging technologies viable options to increase coal’s lifetime in India? • How might the cement and steel markets being influenced by environmental pressure?
Each of our speakers will be leading further discussion from the panel at four round tables. Have your say and debate this increasingly divisive topic. Take advantage of a more personal way to network with fellow conference guests. We kindly request “Chatham House Rules” to allow free and open discussion.
Sumanta Chaudhuri, our Chief Guest Speaker, will give an overview of the state of the Indian coal market. Following this we will have an interactive Q&A using Slido.
• How will domestic production meet India’s coal requirements in the future? • Using imports to fill the gap between domestic production and rising demand • What are the target future energy mixes and what role will green energies play? • How will cement and steel demand from infrastructure and housing projects effect the rate of growth of demand for coal?
• A look at domestic coal production rates • How can coal production rates be increased in India? • Could automation, technology and digitisation be used in Indian mines to reduce costs and increase output?
• What is the current uptake of technology in the Indian coal supply chain? • How is technology being used in coal markets in other countries? • What impact could tech have on reducing costs, increasing output and speeding up timelines of coal projects? • What technology and processes are likely to be adopted in the Indian coal market in the future?
• What are the main problems preventing India from reaching its thermal power output capacity? • Looking at how the pros and cons of increasing imports and how plants can adapt to use different coal • What impact are captive power blocks having on the thermal power sector? • Debating whether or not the PPAs (power purchase agreement) should be renegotiable
• Looking forward to coal demand in India for the year ahead • Projection for likely Indian domestic coal production • Filling the gap: where does that leave imports? • Potential Indian coal import rates • Forecasting the price of thermal and met coal
• Growing cement demand based on government focus on infrastructure and housing for all • How is the export market for Indian cement expecting to grow over the coming years? • Cement demand, production and forecast for year ahead • How does the demand for thermal coal map onto projected cement demand
Analysing the Indian thermal coal market and forecasting the coal price
• Indian thermal coal markets and its influence on the seaborne market • Changing policies and their impact on coal demand • Likely suppliers for the demand growth • How will commercial coal mining influence coal market in India
• Need for India to augment coal block auctions & commercial mining • Present scenario of domestic coal availability • Forecast for Indian steel demand • Fuel security scenario of steel • Infrastructural issues at mines
• What is the rate of loss and waste from port to plant/mill in the Indian coal supply chain? • What are the quick wins to reduce waste? • What role could logistics equipment play in improving efficiency in the coal supply chain
• Overview of regional and global ash trade and ash utilisation trends • Reviewing the qualities and types of ash produced in India • Relative uses of coal combustion products • Fluctuations in the Indian ash market over the last year and what are the likely trends ahead • How have increases in construction and infrastructure development effected demand for ash for Portland cement, concrete and concrete products?
• Reviewing the changing rate of beneficiation of coal in India and predicting the likely future rates • Given the high ash content of Indian coal, what are the consequences of not washing coal? • Has legislation around transporting high ash coal led to an increase in beneficiation? • What are the roadblocks of greater use of washing at mine mouths? • Learning from the best: what are the global best practices for coal beneficiation?
• Update of recent developments in coal financial trading • Resurgence of financial trading activity in 2019? Why? • Development of new products adapted to the India-Pacific market • A few ideas for risk management of physical positions